Why are people so ignorant about registries???

Eeeek, good luck with this debate. Remember though if you dont like people saying negative things about registries then you really shouldnt go calling things other people do, tacky. Those in glass houses and all that :thumbup:

Tasha, I call it tacky cause that is not my norm, people have continually called baby showers names and I have not insulted them also the same for me with circumcision and I only once lost it on a person over that, people in this thread have said things about baby showers that I find insulting they are not american and I understand that is not their way, so why am I not allow to say asking for money is tacky? Again some not ALL have said things about baby showers and I have not called them out on it, I only tried to explain that not all of us are not appreciative and not all of us put those big items on our registries . I was NOT trying to start a debate about Bridal Showers, i was kidding around and I was really curious if they had them over in other countries. I do try my best to never judge others and I think i do a good job, I don't think i live in a glass house either. My opinion is that it is tacky to ask for money for a wedding I don't care what country you live in. JMO :flower:

Tasha, I call it tacky cause that is not my norm, people have continually called baby showers names and I have not insulted them also the same for me with circumcision and I only once lost it on a person over that, people in this thread have said things about baby showers that I find insulting they are not american and I understand that is not their way, so why am I not allow to say asking for money is tacky? Again some not ALL have said things about baby showers and I have not called them out on it, I only tried to explain that not all of us are not appreciative and not all of us put those big items on our registries . I was NOT trying to start a debate about Bridal Showers, i was kidding around and I was really curious if they had them over in other countries. I do try my best to never judge others and I think i do a good job, I don't think i live in a glass house either. My opinion is that it is tacky to ask for money for a wedding I don't care what country you live in. JMO :flower:

Wow, I really didnt expect that response Andy. I didnt say you were trying to cause a debate, nor were you the only person to call it tacky so it wasnt directly at you but more a general comment. I never even mentioned bridal showers just that calling it tacky isnt nice.

I get that you have been offended by other people about registries or baby showers (never me though as I dont have a problem with them) and circumision (again never me because I would never say mean stuff when I know Mummy's who chose to circ are doing so because they believe it is best for their LO), but I dont think that makes it okay to upset or offend other people.

Wow, I really didnt expect that response Andy. I didnt say you were trying to cause a debate, nor were you the only person to call it tacky so it wasnt directly at you but more a general comment. I never even mentioned bridal showers just that calling it tacky isnt nice.

I get that you have been offended by other people about registries or baby showers (never me though as I dont have a problem with them) and circumision (again never me because I would never say mean stuff when I know Mummy's who chose to circ are doing so because they believe it is best for their LO), but I dont think that makes it okay to upset or offend other people.
NO No I don't mean YOU ever offended me, you never have. I did call it tacky and I did ask about Bridal Showers so I only assumed of course it was for me. Saying something is tacky is an opinion, my opinion. I don't think i am judging by saying what I feel, others have expressed that they think Baby Showers are tacky or ridiculous and that is their opinion and I have not called them out on it. I asked about Bridal Showers I was the only one so of course I assumed you meant me in regards to a debate and I didn't want a debate just asking if it is done over there. I try my best everyday not to offend, but I will give my opinion on something just like others. :flower:

NO No I don't mean YOU ever offended me, you never have. I did call it tacky and I did ask about Bridal Showers so I only assumed of course it was for me. Saying something is tacky is an opinion, my opinion. I don't think i am judging by saying what I feel, others have expressed that they think Baby Showers are tacky or ridiculous and that is their opinion and I have not called them out on it. I asked about Bridal Showers I was the only one so of course I assumed you meant me in regards to a debate and I didn't want a debate just asking if it is done over there. I try my best everyday not to offend, but I will give my opinion on something just like others. :flower:

Think it is cross wires sweetie, I didnt mean a debate about a bridal shower, just the debate about whether it (asking for money at a wedding) is tacky or not which is sure to happen. Other people used the word tacky as well. As I said it wasnt aimed directly at you.

And no we dont have bridal showers here, or at least not that I know of.

Dang, half the people here don't know what (who?) that is. Fail. :dohh:

:haha: I know vaguely but only because of posts on this forum.

Tacky = what the walls in my spare room should be (with paint) right now....instead I am sitting here eating Wispas and watching 'How I Met Your Mother'.

Sigh!

Oh goodness that is so tacky. I also got a similar wedding invite and it said "$100 x ___ (x # of guests" because they decided a place so fancy that we would have to assist in paying to attend.

........... we didn't even RSVP we found it so offensive. The bride's mother (my OH's aunt) called us to apologize and say she tried to knock some sense into her kid but alas.

Wow. Balls.

You know what, i'm sort of torn here, i mean if the half of us think registries are tacky, how can we not also think stating a preference, on an invitation isn't?

:shrug:

I was one of the people who thought the posters attitude was appalling and downright rude.
And I'd just like to put out there I don't think baby showers are tacky, I don't think wishing wells at weddings are tacky. Registries are fine too.
But being angry at your family and friends because they didn't follow suit and get what you demanded u wanted is where she went wrong.

I had a baby shower it was great! Yes i have lots of onesies now but thats ok, he will go through them. And I had a wishing well at my wedding too! Some people bought gifts instead and that was fine with us- they knew we already had all the essential stuff so we got some nice platters etc :)

I'm not against the idea of these "traditions", but u have to accept some people will be and will wanna do things the old fashioned way and u have to respect that, you can't be angry at them because they don't agree with your way of thinking :) the point is they still thought of you!

I do hate the show, but Honey Boo Boo is fab. Did you know though that Mama June puts all the money away for her kids futures? She doesn't touch a penny of it.

I do hate the show, but Honey Boo Boo is fab. Did you know though that Mama June puts all the money away for her kids futures? She doesn't touch a penny of it.

I didn't know that. I have to say I don't think she is a bad mother, i think she is a good mother and loves her kids. I mean she is rude and does things I can laugh at but would never do, But I think she is a good mom :flower:

June. I just can't imagine being a grandmother at 32. Actually, I look at my kid and think "if I was June right now, you'd be my grandchild". Holy heck.

June. I just can't imagine being a grandmother at 32. Actually, I look at my kid and think "if I was June right now, you'd be my grandchild". Holy heck.

I think she had her oldest at 15 yrs. old. The father is only Alana's biological father . My MIL became a Grandmother at 43 and I thought that was young, 32 is really young.

I think she had her oldest at 15 yrs. old. The father is only Alana's biological father . My MIL became a Grandmother at 43 and I thought that was young, 32 is really young.

43 is young!!!!!!! :rofl:

I'm starting to feel old being on BnB there are moms here that are much younger than my baby sister and I just think....... gosh :dohh: I'm gonna need a walker soon.

I think the tacky comments comes from a set of etiquette (etiquette as per North American standards, which I think apply as the OP is American). It is considered polite to have a registry for a mom-to-be or wedding. It is considered impolite to ask outright for money. Some people do it, but it violates etiquette rules. It's like showing up to a wedding without a gift, or perhaps trick or treating without a costume (;)).

43 is young!!!!!!! :rofl:

I'm starting to feel old being on BnB there are moms here that are much younger than my baby sister and I just think....... gosh :dohh: I'm gonna need a walker soon.
YOU feel old, what about me??????? I am 42 I am ancient :wacko: you are not old. Funny I don't feel old, but I am............ Yea i guess 43 is young, I would love to be a young grandma but I don't think that will happen. :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->