Clothes as presents - is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPF

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend at work the other day about Xmas presents etc as we have similar age boys. She says she always buys £100 pounds of clothes for Xmas and birthday and ask family to buy clothes too.

I know people do this but I never do. Clothes shopping is normal day to day expenses for me. I would feel a bit mean buying ds his clothes wardrobe for next season and then wrapping it up for Xmas when all he really wants is a fire engine, jake duplo and figures and a remote controlled car!

I do buy the odd item of clothes for presents, usually items I wouldn't normally buy like a special minions t shirt or planes hoody etc but that's all, but usually as part of other presents.

Am I alone is wanting to buy frivolous toys for Xmas!?!?

I don't buy clothes unless like you say its a character top or something.

I'll get the odd few items they will really like (fav character etc) but wouldn't wrap up their whole next season wardrobe. X

Yeh I'm like you and would wrap character clothing but definitely not just the usual jeans/jumpers/tshirts xx

I buy the odd item of clothing as a present but more character stuff that I know she would be excited about getting. The rest of her clothes I just buy as and when needed and not as presents. Family buy her clothes as presents sometimes but I'm fine with that.

We have just started buying DS's Autumn/Winter wardrobe now so he wouldn't really need a whole new wardrobe by Christmas. We do buy a special outfit for Christmas Day but it doesn't get wrapped up or anything.

X

I do like you and just buy the odd character top, character pyjamas and onesie.
With family I always as for a gift such as a toy, dvd or books something I know they want and if they ask for something else I do say aw just get a top or pair of pj's rather than think of a toy for the sake of it.

i only really buy them pjs as clothes gifts.
my friend will buy them their xmas day outfit which saves me the expense and they get enough toys from me lol!

I buy clothes every year bar DD's 1st xmas. It adds more to the pile so more excitement for her to unwrap - for the sake of unwrapping.

Last years load (about 40% clothes). I went OTT with clothes (and in general) and I found myself opening a lot of presents for her too because she got bored or distracted. Then spent more on Boxing Day sales.

Attachments

• 1546009_10153621823620858_474347443_n.jpg
    1546009_10153621823620858_474347443_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1525653_10153622005470858_1997019623_n.jpg
    1525653_10153622005470858_1997019623_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 960258_10153622005620858_1666946427_n.jpg
    960258_10153622005620858_1666946427_n.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 58
I wouldn't buy clothes for Christmas as my LO wouldn't be impressed lol. Wouldn't want relatives too either as am too fussy lol! I put pjs in the Xmas Eve bag but that doesn't really count.

Clothes aren't presents, it may be abit bratty but I hate seeing my sons disappointed face if he opens a present and it's a tshirt, one he doesn't even like lol
Every Christmas I buy my kids a new outfit and new pjs, it's like a tradition, but not presents

I buy a few bits, like you its the more expensive/character jumpers or tees. Also pants and socks which seem to be one of those standard presents like chocolate, and new PJs for Xmas Eve. The boys are always really pleased with whatever items of clothing they get. If we were going to be going to family or having people round and I was going to get them dressed on Christmas day I'd also wrap the outfit I bought for the day. But I love wrapping everything up and bulking out the presents with things I would have bought anyway. That wouldn't come out of their present budget so they would still have just as many toys, but an extra present or two.

I wouldn't buy clothes as presents until Callum is probably a teenager and he is into certain more expensive clothes. I just personally cannot fathom wrapping up clothes for a 4 year old unless like you say it's a special character top he'd love...it baffles me really

Also because I pass on all the clothes to the younger ones (have 4 boys has its benefits LOL) Its not like buying them a new wardrobe and wrapping it up. They don't get new clothes all the time. I go in Feb when DS1 changes sizes and buy him a whole new wardrobe and then I get him some shorts when it gets warmer and thats it. His old clothes go into a box to be brought out for the when DS2 grows into them. And so on. So its not a regular thing to have new clothes. They get a couple of bits at Christmas and if there is an occasion they need something they don't have. So they are appreciative of clothes. When they are older and decide they don't want hand me downs any more I won't make them, but at the moment they get quite excited at the idea that they are wearing their big brothers clothes.

I wouldn't buy clothes to be wrapped up. DD gets a new outfit for Xmas day and new pjs for Xmas eve but neither of these are wrapped up. I always get some character pants and socks for her stocking though. I did buy some jake and peppa pj sets this year that come in little cotton drawstring bags and I may wrap one of these up for Xmas depending on what else I buy but that's def the exception rather than the rule.

I don't mind if other people buy clothes as gifts for DD though, I appreciate it as much if not more than a toy and I make sure DD understands that someone loved her enough to treat her to a present and thought she would like it. She loves her clothes and accessories though so would tend to get as excited about clothes as a toy:haha:

We do pj's in xmas eve box but that's it, usually the in laws do clothes as presents but luckily do nice things x

I buy clothes! I won't be wrapping them this year though, there will just be a pile. Xx

i tend to only get xmas pj's or a character clothing item to wrap. thats it though, i wouldnt get anything else. x

I'm like you and will only buy character bits that I know they would want. They also do always get a pair of pyjamas and a buy them an outfit to wear Christmas Day which is wrapped but that's it.

As for other people though they do sometimes get clothes especially from my sister who likes to buy them all named stuff. It doesn't bother me though and I wouldn't dream of telling her she couldn't. I know they don't get as excited over these kinds of presents but their always grateful, plus they get so many toys it really doesn't make a difference. :)

Oh good - glad it's not just me! My friend looked at me like I was mad when I said I didn't really buy clothes or see them as 'presents' lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"