January Jelly Beans 2014!

mel- Id say no. I think your baby's safety is number one and there is obviously a reason why they are considered not safe and not allowed anymore. Even if the part "helps" its still not up to code. At least if it was me Id keep looking, Id hate to get it and something happen to my little one. Id spend a little more money and get a crib that was considered very safe and to code.

Update:
The seller has contacted the company and they are sending her the immobilization kit. The recall specifically says that the danger comes when the side come out of the locked position and is "in flux" between the up and down positions, creating a gap. If the side is permanently up (i.e. with the kit or a lock or L-brackets) the side cannot be moved from the up position and the risk of creating a gap is eliminated.
I think the reason they are still not considered "up to code" is because someone could undo the fix if they had the desire. Still thinking about it, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Melann I agree you should really think about it baby's safety comes first

I too just found a play yard swing/bouncer combo carseat and stroller all a matching set for 100 on Craigslist we called the guy and he said its ll in great condition so were picking it up tom :) I had been looking at a new one but its over 500 so great buy

Im all about saving money by buying used baby items, but I would stay clear of any drop side cribs and used car seats, in my opinion. I would be worried that the fix could somehow break and let the crib malfunction and become unsafe.

As far as used car seats, if you absolutely must get a used one, be sure to check the expiration date on the bottom. It's also tough because you never really know if the carseat has been in a car accident. I've read a lot about carseat safety and the straps can start to break down and deteriorate after a few years and can weaken after a car accident.

I'm ridiculously paranoid about safety, maybe over the top, but that's just me. Like others have said, I would read up on the subject and base your choice on that.

Ps, not judging anyone who buys used...I swear!! I have plenty of used baby items.

Lindsay thanks I will def inspect it carefully but if need be I will be a new one its the whole set in a great little bargain and it does look in great shape

The one thing my hubby won't get used is the crib he said we can buy a new one for a good price so were doing that new I think everything will be used well except bottles and things but clothes def used :)

I agree... car seat we will absolutely get new, unless we personally know the past owner. Only saying that because my co-woker just offered us a whole bunch of girl stuff today (and he said he has a car seat too). We probs wont take the car seat still, but we will look at it and maybe (if we take it) put it in one of the grandma's cars (not as her primary seat). As for a crib I believe we will get that new as well (only because DH is all about "style"). I think safety is number one for our little one, but I will not judge at all if anyone gets used stuff. I totally agree this stuff can get expensive!

Have anyone looked into child care? I am curious what other states/country's charge for child care. Here in Colorado the average for infant care is about $1200/month for 5 days (that's basically my mortgage payment!).

Goldstns am in talk with my boss to see if I can bring him to work for a few weeks but we're looking into getting someone to come to our apt. to babysit it would only be a few hours while hubby got home and usually charge 20 a day

I work downstairs and my apt is upstairs so I would feel tons better about that if not we have someone else that we could drop him off for a few hours and she charges the same so about 400/month but we'll see am hoping he came downstairs with me for a bit then get someone to watch him

I am glad to hear things are going well with you Live!

I think look into anything used for sure. I plan to go with some used things, but I am unsure what. We have already got a new carseat, so not that.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I already updated Facebook but thought id update here too. We are officially team blue!!! :)

Congratulations Sally and HawkLover! :happydance:

DD goes to childcare 2 days per week when I'm working and it's £32 per day for 7:30am-6pm. We get help towards the cost from the government though, it works out that they contribute £45 towards it each week so we pay £19 per week. I only work part time and if we had to pay the full amount, there would be no point even going back to work!

Congratulations ladies!!

It's getting harder and harder to stay team yellow with so many ladies finding out and getting so exited!!

Em xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->