Metformin success stories needed!!!

I know everyone kinda got quiet there huh....I kept checking back but it never told me there was any replies..... Im on 1500mg as well of metformin...I was taking Vitex and Maca but I quit them both cause its suppose to regulate you and I am on like cd42 right now hello late af....so figured not helping.... and i go to the Dr next month after doing all my labs and my DH Semen Ananlysis she would give me the clomid and I wanted to make sure the vitex was outta my system... so just metformin and prenatals right now!! YAY ....... I was browsing the BFP place in here and guess who got a BFP ??? DODGERCPKL YAY sooooooo happy for her!!!

Anywhos....... so whos next on here that is gonna get that bfp???

I know everyone kinda got quiet there huh....I kept checking back but it never told me there was any replies..... Im on 1500mg as well of metformin...I was taking Vitex and Maca but I quit them both cause its suppose to regulate you and I am on like cd42 right now hello late af....so figured not helping.... and i go to the Dr next month after doing all my labs and my DH Semen Ananlysis she would give me the clomid and I wanted to make sure the vitex was outta my system... so just metformin and prenatals right now!! YAY ....... I was browsing the BFP place in here and guess who got a BFP ??? DODGERCPKL YAY sooooooo happy for her!!!

Anywhos....... so whos next on here that is gonna get that bfp???

Thank you. Sadly I lost the baby on friday. My bleeding seems to have stopped now, so we are back to active ttc. I'm praying for my rainbow baby and hoping that I'll follow in my mom's footsteps and get pregnant right away.

:hugs:awwww DOgercpkl I am so sorry I got so excited love to cruise the preg blogs and seen you did it !! I am sooooo sorry for your loss.... I got my fingers crossed for ya that you get one real soon!!:hugs: I almost cried when I seen you had gotten that :bfp: !!! Your little angel will always be with you and watching over your family!!:angel: Forever!!!

Thank you hun! We'll get there. I'm to a point now where I can at least appreciate that things are working the way they should - i.e. I got pregnant and I can do it again. I'm just waiting to see what's going on with my hCG levels... ok well not really WAITING... lol hubby and I have already bd'd. :)

SO have my fingers crossed for you!! Yes atleast now you know that it can happen its just sad that though it did you lost a little angel!!:angel: But you will get there again and this next time fingers crossed it will be a sticky bean!! :) :dust:

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, it seems to have died out a couple months ago. I am getting ready to start metformin hopefully tomorrow. I had a scan last Friday and I do have some cysts, but not big enough to make my ovaries enlarge or anything.
Now I dont recall my blood sugar levels being off EVER, so do I really have the insulin resistance that goes with pcos? Yes I have weight, and it is all in my abdomen.
I am hoping that metformin will hopefully help me lose weight, get my periods on track (I dont get any without provera) and help me ovulate.

I have also heard that eating basically ANY carbs will make metformin not work right, is this accurate? As of now I am eating a high protein diet, but it also includes a bit of carbs, but all whole wheat or beans and etc, and obviously minimal sugar and NO soda. On top of that I walk on the treadmill at 5kmh for 3km at least 5 days a week.

How long after starting metformin should I maybe expect a period and maybe even ovulation?
Any experiences?
Any opinions on my situation?

Oh, also, I don't yet know what dosage I will be on, will know when I pick up my prescription

Thanks

Processed carbs are the problem. Good carbs are fine. You want to avoid carbs that are going to break down into sugars fast like white rice, white bread, etc. Stick to whole grains and keep those in moderation and you'll be fine having some carbs. Also stay away from processed sugar and try to keep it to natural sugars like those in fruit. I've had a lot of luck sticking to a low GI diet plan. Between that and the metformin, I've lost over 60 pounds!

As for when to expect a period or ovulation, I can only tell you what I experienced. I went on Metformin in August, had a mini ovulation (that I didn't know about until blood work showed it) that only gave me a day of heavy spotting for a period, and then, in November, I had a great cycle that ended in a bfp. Sadly it's not a full success story since I ended up having a miscarriage, but I can tell you that my body was ready within 3 months of starting the metformin! Hope that helps... let me know if I missed any questions you had.

Thanks for all the info! Glad to finally get a reply. I do eat only brown rice, wheat pasta, and wheat bread. But carbs seem to be a big bit of my diet, like I eat low gl special k for breakfast, then at lunch chicken and spinach in a wheat pita or wrap, and we will eat wheat pasta, potatoes, or rice most nights at dinner. And what about things like potatos? Should I avoid them?

I hope it works as fast for me as it did for you, I am a bit overweigh 5ft7 and 260lbs.
I just got my metformin today and I have to take 500mg a day for a week, then 500mg twice a day for a week, then 850mg twice a day indefinitely.

Just took my first dose and hoping it works and minimal side effects.

Thanks again for the reply :)

*Update* Took my 500mg dose with lunch about 2 1/2 hours ago and I am feeling fairly nauseous, and having a couple of those similar side effects. Blah

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, it seems to have died out a couple months ago. I am getting ready to start metformin hopefully tomorrow. I had a scan last Friday and I do have some cysts, but not big enough to make my ovaries enlarge or anything.
Now I dont recall my blood sugar levels being off EVER, so do I really have the insulin resistance that goes with pcos? Yes I have weight, and it is all in my abdomen.
I am hoping that metformin will hopefully help me lose weight, get my periods on track (I dont get any without provera) and help me ovulate.

I have also heard that eating basically ANY carbs will make metformin not work right, is this accurate? As of now I am eating a high protein diet, but it also includes a bit of carbs, but all whole wheat or beans and etc, and obviously minimal sugar and NO soda. On top of that I walk on the treadmill at 5kmh for 3km at least 5 days a week.

How long after starting metformin should I maybe expect a period and maybe even ovulation?
Any experiences?
Any opinions on my situation?

Oh, also, I don't yet know what dosage I will be on, will know when I pick up my prescription

Thanks

Im so glad you got this thread started again. I dont O either due to a high prolactin level. However I really feel like i may have PCOS. After all these years Ive never been diagnosed and my FS still doesnt think i have it, but by the end of our last appt he said he would take another look and possibly start me on metformin. Does anyone know if you can take metformin WITHOUT having pcos?? I am feeling so hopeless right now, as my meds to lower my prolactin level arent doing anything!! I just need something to give me a little hope for once :/ I have an appt with an endocrinologist the beginning of march..hoping to have more success by seeing her.

The symptoms for PCOS and high prolactin are pretty much the same from what ive read, but one thing that stuck out to me was ALL my weight is in my stomach! i dont have any facial hair or anything like that...are there any other symptoms i could look for? I have never had a period on my own...never O. I guess i almost wish i DID have PCOS just so maybe we could finally fix me! having a bit of a rant right now. sorry. looking for success stories a well. thanks ladies

Hi there,
Well after reading your post I really think your infertility is resulting from your high prolactin.
Prolactin inhibits two hormones necessary for ovulation: follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). When you have high levels of prolactin in your blood , you will not ovulate and this will result in infertility.

If you really think you might have pcos the big things to watch for are the weight in your abdomen, the hair growth, high testosterone levels on blood tests, and of course cysts on your ovaries.
You mentioned having a thin lining so I assume you have had some kind of scan, and cysts would have shown up if they took a look at your ovaries.

I definitely recommend getting your testosterone level checked if you think you have PCOS.

Now as far as metformin goes, PCOS is thought to be caused by insulin resistance, and the metformin tackles that resistance. The succes women with PCOS experience with metformin is from the insulin being regulated properly, which lets your body come right and evens out the cycles, which in some will result in ovulating as well. It does not always work though.
If you dont have PCOS then the metformin I don't thin will really do much unless you are insulin resistant for some other reason. Keep in mind metformin can have some unpleasant side effects. (But so worth it if it works)

I searched all over the internet for some metformin success stories and the best ones I found were on this site: https://www.babycenter.com/400_i-ha...yo_940254_687.bc?startIndex=60&sortFieldName=

I felt much better about starting the metformin after reading the stories on there.

I just started taking my metformin today, 500mg a day for a week, then 500mg twice a day for a week, and then up to 850mg twice a day for who knows how long.

I am hoping it works for me. I took my dose about 4 1/2 hours ago now and have felt pretty nauseous, it does have some wicked side effects, but some women have it worse than me, so I just have to tough it out. :p

I hope this helped, I am a bit scattered at the moment!
Heaps of baby dust to you! *~*~*~*~*~*

Wow I have been watching this thread for a bit it kinda just fizzled...lol anyways I wish you guys all the luck!! Metformin helped but my lovely ovaries needed that extra little push!! Sometimes your body could use that extra push!!

I just wanna wish you all so much LUCK!!!
cause with Metformin and Clomid I got my:bfp: so never give up!!!

:dust::dust: To all of you!!

Hi ladies. I hope you don't mind my butting in but I have been waiting for this thread to open up again!! I have been ttc for about 18 months. This is my first cycle on Metformin. I was diagnosed was pcos because I am IR. I don't have any cysts, I ovulate every month on my own and have a pretty regular cycle. I have had 2 chemical pregnancies and my RE said its because I have poor egg quality. I am really hoping this Metformin will help improve that soon!! I am 7 do today and feel great this month. Having alot of weird symptoms so I'm hoping this is my month. I'm not one to SS so lets hope I'm not starting that now! How is everyone doing? Again, I hope no one minds me butting in :flower:

I started metformin Dec 24th....I had been having irregular cycles for about a year and a half, two weeks later af showed up! 35 days later af showed up again so here I am on CD 4 of cycle two of ttc:thumbup: My OBGYN confirmed PCOS in January...I do not have high testosterone levels, facial hair or thinning of the hair on my head. I am overweight, do have insulin resistance, irregular cycles and had not been ovulating. I am taking 1500mg's of metformin daily and am hoping that the metformin will continue to aide in keeping my cycles regular so that I can get my bfp!!:happydance:

Hi everyone! I am glad a few more people started to post on here, I was starting to think my attempts to revive this thread would be futile. :p

Sounds like some good results happening with the metformin.

As you may have read I just started mine yesterday with 500mg once a day for a week. I get pretty nauseous about 1 1/2 hours after taking it, but more bothersome that that is that it seems like every time I eat, even though its been like 16 hours since I took it, I feel kind of sick/stomach ache. Anyone else had this problem?

But hearing more stories gives me lots of hope! It seems to work within a few weeks to a month for most people, at least as far as regulating the cycles, so, I can totally put up with feeling sick!
I know we are all hoping for some BFP's!

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years. I have PCOS, Major irregular periods so the Dr gave me provera to get me going lol. And also Metformin. The metformin makes me nausea which sucks. I was on metformin for a couple months before Xmas. Then I stopped and started up again yesterday. I should have never stopped but I got frustrated thinking it wasnt working:growlmad:. I had a follow up with the DR yesterday and shes telling me to continue with Metformin, and she also gave me 3 cycles of Clomid. Im also going to start temping as well.
I really want this and dont want to give up. I joined this group yesterday in hopes of getting inspiration...and some tips as I found trying to figure this out on my own slightly overwhelming at times. :coffee:

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and getting the BFP....

Katrina :)

The Metformin can have some harsh side effects. I found that taking mine half way through dinner helps alot. I started off on 500mg a day and worked myself up to 1500 mg. I'm hoping since I already have regular cycles and ovulate on my own the Metformin will work its first month. What cd is everyone else on?? I hope everyone is doing well!!

Hi Alyssa07,
Well I suppose my CD would be 0 lol. I do not get periods unless I take provera,the last day of my cycle was January 28th.
My DR told me to wait 6 weeks after my period ends before taking provera again, but,hoping that metformin will get my periods and ovulation on track.

My side effects have not been as severe as I expected, but unpleasant none the less.

My prescriptions actually tells me to take them at meals, currently with my 1 500mg tab a day I have to take it at lunch. And when I go up to 2 tabs a day I have to take them with breakfast and dinner.

I wanted to try clomid but I need to lose about 30lbs before the doctor will put me on it, but hopefully the metformin will get things going and there will be no need for clomid.

Up until about 3 days ago I was doing 2 miles (3k) on the treadmill every day but it was reaking havoc on my legs, it really made my knees and feet just hurt. So I have been slacking, which I feel bad about, suppose I should get back to it, because if the metformin doesn't work, I reallly want the clomid.
I currently eat under 1600 calories a day (1600 is my budget) and most of that is whole grains and protein. I was told to cut down carbs to help the metformin do it's thing, but the whole grains are a big part of my diet.

Anyways, ranting there. How soon does the metformin actually tackle the insulin resistance? Does anyone know?
Because aside from being sick, I also have a bit of an uplifted up and down mood more often. Although I suppose that could be caused by the fact that I feel like something is actually getting done now that I am on the metformin :p

I'm not too sure on how soon Metformin helps with IR. It varies I believe. I had some blood work done about a week ago and my levels have gone down so looks like it helped me the first month! My RE told me that if I wasn't pregnant within 3 months on Metformin we would move onto something else. The only problem with that is I don't know what other options I have. She won't put me on Clomid since I ovulate every month. All my blood work is fine Im not over weight and a clear HSG. She also said since I'm so young (22) she doesn't want to put me on any harsh meds. I'm just praying the Metformin will do the trick. Who knew trying to get pregnant could be so hard?! :wacko:

I am in quite a similar boat, I am 21, and I thought the same thing, I was like this should be easy! But no :p
Have you had high insulin/blood sugar on tests? Which levels are you referring to?
Because I have never had any high blood sugar ever. But I was told that being insulin resistant doesn't mean having high sugar or anything. So I was kinda like well why is it messing with my body then?? lol

I'm not sure what test they did. She scheduled a lab appt and I had 5 tubes of blood drawn. She called me 2 days later and said my insulin level a looked better than they did the last time I had blood drawn. I'm lucky to have found her though. Most RE`s here won't see you until your 25!! That makes no sense to me. You would think the younger you are when you realize there is something wrong would be better! So you have more time to fix it!! By the way, are you charting??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->