My Big Fat Geek Wedding!

Woo hoo I'm in the year and 6 months part of my ticker, better get planning some more :rofl:

Oh stalking!! Love that dress btw and I would have been high as a kite with the thought of arriving on a tram:haha:

Planning going well now, we have decided there will be around 100 guests for the reception (50 for the ceremony). We have started looking at venues near Harrogate, we looked at breweries that hold receptions but they will probably be too expensive, and one could not commit to a date so far in advance as its a working venue. The hotels in the area are not that inspiring, although might be swayed if its scenic or historic. OH has decided that perhaps a village hall might be an idea, then could source decorations/catering from Harrogate. Ive started emailing some near Harrogate to get an idea on pricing and availability. Although it would be more work to hire a hall (to source everything) it would be cheap and we could really make the reception unique and different as there would be no limitations to the decorating unlike in a hotel potentially. So, progress is slow but we are getting there! :haha:

I just got married at Ripley castle near harrogate I think... Lol!

Absolutley beautiful castle with beautiful surroundings and was so reasonable too. X

I just got married at Ripley castle near harrogate I think... Lol!

Absolutley beautiful castle with beautiful surroundings and was so reasonable too. X

Ive seen the pics, looks lovely! (but sadly not reasonable for 100 guests :haha: )

I emailed a hall 2 hours ago asking for prices etc, they havent replied yet and Im getting impatient already :rofl:

Wedding planning is in full swing, emailing lots of venues for prices. One hall has quoted £1050 for 2 days hire, which on reflection looks like quite a lot! (includes tables, chairs and crockery). Hmmmmmm I like the blank canvas idea but not the price :dohh: Problem is not being living in the area means I cant scope out halls or know any in the area. I have also emailed a pub, which sent the nicest email so far :haha: They have asked me to call to discuss meeting up, which would be awesome if I didnt live 2 hours away! Its a lovely pub, but what I really want to know is if its in budget, if not will drop from the list. Just dont know how to ask without getting their hopes up that I am interested, if that makes sense? One venue has been soooo helpful but OH is not keen so feel bad :blush:

How can I word an email do you reckon, the email I sent the pub was a very general enquiry and I still would like to know just basic costs (like hiring the pub etc). Help!! :haha:

Just say that to them, say that you live a couple of hours away and are looking for a basic cost for the place so you know whether you can afford it before you make the journey up to find something you can't have xx

Thank you! I just sent them an email to say we live a few hours away, and had some questions for them. I asked them for the basic venue hire (not including food etc) and explained that I wanted the bar to have the guests paying for their own drinks (I guess that as a pub they would need to know how much custom they would have if they were hired out for a whole afternoon/evening, its a small pub in a small Yorkshire town so probably the 100 guests would be a good number for them, and people tend to drink more at weddings!). I also said that we had a couple of quotes from other venues so needed to see how they matched up (which I do, they might be more willing to answer queries if they know they have competition :haha: )

Gosh, I really dont like having to email people and ask this sort of stuff, especially if Im not interested after all (if the cost is too much). Im just too nice and hate telling people no :blush:

Their a business, they will be happy to answer your questions if it could lead them to a new client:thumbup: don't worry about letting people down, your spending a lot of money so you got to enquire and make sure your happy with your venue, people understand this :flower:

Well, I called the venue and they were fab! They dont charge room hire, all I would pay for is the food/whatever drinks. He was sooo positive and nice, deposit would be 20% of the total, then the rest can be paid whenever. He said 100 people was a lot but just about manageable (the only downside is the space, it would be split across a couple of rooms with split level as its an old pub) I like the idea of different rooms as it makes it more informal, and I hope more relaxing. The food will be about £1100, plus a welcome drink/toast. Then dessert table and decorations. They have 4 bedrooms they can give us at a discounted rate too. Hopefully we can see the venue when we see the in-laws nearer Xmas, Im positive but OH needs to like it too. There is hardly any car-parking at the venue as its in the middle of the town, will have to look into that more.

Overall = :happydance:

...but still looking for other venues just in case :haha:

We have changed the date! Its now 25th April 2015, only a week difference but as the original date was on a bank holiday I thought it was going to prove difficult to find a venue free on this day (the first hotel I asked said they were booked that day).
Excited now! :happydance:

A dress I love the style of, but could never afford or look like Kate Moss :haha: :

https://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/f9/04/94f904d172642491429561d44e6a0652.jpg

Also this, its Vivienne Westwood and Carrie Bradshaw wore it with an underskirt which Im not a fan of (also not a fan of SJP/SATC for the record :haha: ) I love the bottom of it, think its knee-length so would really show off the shoes!

https://boards.weddingbee.com/?bb_attachments=231681&bbat=24386&inline

WOOP! Nearly a year to go! :happydance:

Not updated this in a long while, not much to report!

- Looking like there will be 80 guests, 50 at the ceremony and 30 extra later

- On 30th April me and OH are giving our Notice of Marriage! North Yorkshire council want it done between 25th April- 25th May, probably to finalise the room booking as we are marrying in their registry office. I cant wait to give notice, will seem like things are moving on quick from then on :happydance:

- We are designing our Save the Date cards, they are gonna be postcards pre-printed, so all we need to do is copy in name and address. Not sure when to send these out though :shrug:

Thats pretty much it! Still having the space theme, and looking on Amazon for decorations, which I will start buying soon.

:wedding:

Thank you for the new stalkers dropping by :flower:

Yesterday we gave our Notice for marriage, so in 16 days we will be able to pick up our license to send to North Yorkshire to allow us to marry :happydance: Got taken out for a yummy lunch afterwards too which was fab.

Next thing to do is to book some appointments with a couple of bridal shops in the next month or so. :flower:

Hehe finally found your journal date twin! Love the title!

Hello fellow 25th April enthusiast :haha: You need a journal now... :coffee:

Not done anything new wedding-wise. Need to book some dress places to get an idea of whats out there. Ive started thinking of wedding favours, originally the idea was party bags for all the guests but it seems to work out quite expensive. So, I will do party bags for the children (there will be quite a few), and get little organza bags for the adults and put stuff in them (not sure what, I love rocks/gemstones so was thinking of putting something like that in there. They are cheap if you buy in bulk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->