Weight gain

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by TabbyCakes, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TabbyCakes

TabbyCakes Pregnant 2nd trimester ;)

I only weighed 96 pounds when i got pregnant, Im only 5 weeks and im up to 101 ? 5 pounds is that normal

2. LittleOnes

LittleOnes Mommy to a son

Probably mostly bloat/water weight. Dont worry!

Plus you are petite by your weight, so my guess is your doctor or midwife will expect you to gain 30-35 pounds overall. I am underweight pre preg and that was what my midwife advised me.

Is this your 2nd, 3rd kid etc? That moves the bump/gain along more quickly I believe.

3. bananaz

bananaz Well-Known Member

If you were underweight to begin with you should gain more weight overall, but at this point it's probably just retained water. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. BlueBug

BlueBug Active Member

Your weight can fluctuate a good bit without being pregnant, so I wouldn't get too concerned about it. Before I got pregnant, my weight could change as much as 10 pounds in a week. Add that to the fact that your body is changing (swelling breasts, hormonal changes, etc) and it's not really that surprising.

5. TabbyCakes

This is my first child and my first pregnancy

6. TabbyCakes

Thanks you all ladies

7. jenniferttc1

jenniferttc1 mommy of 1 baking #2

Could be water, or constipation. Also by your weight unless your really short it seems you might be a little underweight and its normal to gain more than a girl thats average weight.

8. TabbyCakes

Im actaully 5 foot 6 in so im REALLY under weight

9. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

If you are very underweight it is good that you are gaining a bit more quickly than average. You will need to put on a fair bit of weight so please don't be worrying about trying to control your weight gain. Concentrate on eating enough for you and the baby.
    At 5 weeks, as the others have said, some of it will be bloating. But if you are significantly underweight I would advise you to seek medical advice about nutrition and weight gain during pregnancy. Although I think you are lucky, I have the opposite problem, I am over weight and have to make sure I don't gain too much!

10. TabbyCakes

Oh i am so not worried about not eating alot when my tummy say fooooood i eat and i eat alot. I just wasnt sure if you gained weight to fast if that was bad for the baby.

11. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

No, it's only really a problem if you are already overweight to start with. Then you are at a much higher risk of getting high blood pressure or diabetes. if you are slim to start with this is not likely to be a danger.

12. TabbyCakes

Thank you so much im so worried I havent been able to see a doctor yet so every little thing terrifies me, I wasnt trying. But it doesnt mean i dont want this baby to be healthy :)