December 2013, anyone? :)

I stopped taking birth control 3 years ago. My yearly exam that year showed cervical eversion, which is nothing really harmful, but it is caused by contraceptives. It scared me how the pill was causing these changes to my body, so I quit taking it. We've been using condoms as our only means of birth control ever since.

I came off the pill a few months ago because i just got really bad at remembering to take it & it made me feel nauseous alot.

We just use condoms now.

I've never heard of it giving a fertility boost before, hope it works for those of you ladies :thumbup:

I have a really stupid question for you ladies in the UK, haha! A "cot" in the UK is the same thing as a "crib" in the US, right? A cot is something totally different here, so I'm just making sure I"m making that connection right! In the US a cot is a small roll-away bed usually used for camping or for guests to sleep on, and its usually really uncomfortable, haha!

I love seeing all of the different dialects on here and the different terminology for things! :)

I think that's right, here's a link to a standard cot bed https://m.mamasandpapas.com/product...e/cot-beds-cots-cribs/2709/#product-CBCN65100 :) This may be a silly question but do you have moses baskets in the US or something different/similar?

I have just done a silly thing and watched the film 'The backup plan' with jennifer lopez. It is a really good film and very funny but i am now a hundred times more broody!! aahhhh!!! Have any of you seen it?

Ah yes, a crib and a cot are the same thing :) It looks like a Moses basket may be what we call a bassinet here in the US. Its kind of like a tiny crib that you can move from room to room to have baby sleep right by you.

I haven't seen The Backup Plan, but I did watch What to Expect Before You're Expecting a few weeks ago, and it was cute! I also watched The Business of Being Born, and I learned a ton of things about child birth that I never knew. My broodiness is in overdrive, especially since one of my coworkers just had a little girl yesterday :) I want one soooo bad! My husband just got an excellent new job, and I have seriously considered moving up our TTC time, but I really do want to get one semester of grad school out of the way first.

I remember seeing What to expect when you're expecting and it was hilarious! I've just logged in to my facebook and the first status i saw was one of my friends saying she's in labour and on her way to hospital!! Usually i'm not fussed by that kind of thing but after feeling extra broody as it is i am also considering bringing out ttc date forward! I know i shouldn't because December is perfect money-wise and i want my daughter to be 3 (so she gets the 15 hours childcare) before we have another one and she wont turn 3 for another year... i just need to be strong and wait for December i think!

Congrats to your husband on the new job!! :) Ahh yes, that sounds the same as a moses basket! I wonder what other baby related words we have that are different...?

Being patient is so difficult! Especially when you *could* make things work, but it isn't the logical thing to do.

Knocked Up is one of my favorite pregnancy movies, and its really funny!

Another big one is pram, which is a stroller over here :) I learned that one from reading Angela's Ashes a few years ago! Do you have different words for car seat or diaper bag?

car seat is the same but we dont say diaper, we call them nappies so it would be nappy bag or changing bag :) Do you have the same words for dummies and babygrows? I'm intrigued now lol!

I love knocked up! I had the pleasure of seeing that before i had my baby :p
I'm in bed meant to be sleeping (work tomorrow) but i keep googling pregnancy related things and it's getting me too excited to sleep lol !

Dummies = pacifiers in the US, and I'm not sure what a babygrow is! This is definitely fun and interesting!

I get sidetracked reading books and looking at fertility boosting articles on the internet, too :)

these are baby grows, also know as sleepsuits :) https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...s---3-Pack/LY0426,default,pd.html#q=baby grow

Is it true that you dont have gas & air in US hospitals?

I have chosen the prenatal vitamins i will be taking but i'm not sure if i can take them at the same time as taking my pill, does anyone know? I'll be starting the prenatals 3 months before ttc but wont be stopping my pill until the 9th December. I should be ovulating over xmas day, how amazing would it be to conceive a baby then :D

MrsEleflump, you are very accomplished, I'm impressed!! Here in the states it is mainly laboratory staff who perform tissue sampling, cryo preservation, and we even view the specimens first and decide if they need to be reviewed by a pathologist. Doctors have so much on their plates, it is easier for them to have staff members to take a look at it and deal with the normal tissues. As far as autopsies and the like those are normally performed by a pathologist or a physician assistant. My work will be 100% in the hospital. I work at the Mayo Clinic and we are one of the highest volume transplant hospitals in the country. It is a two-edged sword, because on the one hand you have the donors who are losing their lives, but through them so many people will have a better, longer life. It is rewarding work, but yes, sad, too! Right now I work in the Blood Bank, where we prepare blood products for patients who needs transfusions, and we also support the operating room when there are major surgeries (like transplants!) I completely agree with you! It has taken hard work to get where we are now, I think we can handle some LOs on top of it :)

What do your doctors think of you TTC? Have they offered much advice?

Thank you Hollynesss :D Yeah, that's the way it's going in the UK, too, but it's still a developing role for lab staff, so I'm glad to be in the first wave, so to speak :D There are some people who have been doing it a long time but there hasn't been a formal qualification for it all that long.

Transplant co-ordinator does sound like such a rewarding job, I wish you all the best in your masters, I'm sure you'll be able to manage it all just fine! :happydance:

My consultant is speaking to the local obstetricians to find out what needs to be done re antenatal/labour and delivery care and monitoring, and what drugs are safe while TTC/pregnant/breastfeeding. I think as long as I don't have a major flare they'll probably be fine with me going ahead to TTC. I'm finally getting tested for antiphospholipid antibodies next week, so if that's negative it'll put my mind at rest a bit. The anti-Ro antibodies are a different story altogether though and will need watching as we know they're positive already.

these are baby grows, also know as sleepsuits :) https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...s---3-Pack/LY0426,default,pd.html#q=baby grow

Is it true that you dont have gas & air in US hospitals?

I have chosen the prenatal vitamins i will be taking but i'm not sure if i can take them at the same time as taking my pill, does anyone know? I'll be starting the prenatals 3 months before ttc but wont be stopping my pill until the 9th December. I should be ovulating over xmas day, how amazing would it be to conceive a baby then :D

Okay, those are what we call onesies :) Do you have a term for swaddle blanket or mobile?

We don't use gas and air (nitrous oxide) for delivery, which is a shame! The only place it is used is at the dentist. It is called laughing gas here because it gives some people the giggles (like me!) I'm really not sure why it hasn't been approve for labor and delivery. We mostly use epidurals for pain management, but there are a lot of women leaning toward natural birth these days. I'm not so sure I could do it, I'm sort of a wuss when it comes to pain!

You should be just fine to take prenatals while on the pill. Its just a vitamin supplement and doesn't contain any hormones to counteract the pill, so you should be fine. Christmas would be a magical time to conceive!! Love it <3

Thank you Hollynesss :D Yeah, that's the way it's going in the UK, too, but it's still a developing role for lab staff, so I'm glad to be in the first wave, so to speak :D There are some people who have been doing it a long time but there hasn't been a formal qualification for it all that long.

Transplant co-ordinator does sound like such a rewarding job, I wish you all the best in your masters, I'm sure you'll be able to manage it all just fine! :happydance:

My consultant is speaking to the local obstetricians to find out what needs to be done re antenatal/labour and delivery care and monitoring, and what drugs are safe while TTC/pregnant/breastfeeding. I think as long as I don't have a major flare they'll probably be fine with me going ahead to TTC. I'm finally getting tested for antiphospholipid antibodies next week, so if that's negative it'll put my mind at rest a bit. The anti-Ro antibodies are a different story altogether though and will need watching as we know they're positive already.

It has definitely been recent that the lab has started to take over a lot of these duties over here. Laboratory staff is in a strange place over here right now, as there is a huge age gap. There was a surge of laboratory schools back in the 60's-70's, and after that the major concentration was on nursing schools, so in the last 10-15 years there have been a ton of laboratory staff (called Medical Technologists or Clinical Laboratory Technologists over here) retiring and nobody to replace them. It worked in the favor of our generation because they pay increased a LOT when it became difficult to find people qualified. Now there are a lot of lab schools out there and the majority of the staff where I work are under 40. Its an exciting field to be in right now!

I worked in the chemistry lab when I first graduated, and one of my duties was performing all of the lupus testing. What is your current titer for anti-Ro? Fingers crossed that your anti-phospholipid is negative! :) I'm sure its not so easy to stay relaxed with so much weighing on your mind, but just try to keep your body healthy and relaxed, and get lots of sleep, and hopefully you can keep any flare-ups at bay :flower:

I think i'm starting to understand more why my OH still doesn't want to talk about TTC - although he made the decision to try in december.

He thinks december is still a long way off - in my mind i'm thinking 'not long left must get prepared' he's thinking 'thats half a year away!'

we are thinking completely differently right now :dohh:

I worked in the chemistry lab when I first graduated, and one of my duties was performing all of the lupus testing. What is your current titer for anti-Ro? Fingers crossed that your anti-phospholipid is negative! :) I'm sure its not so easy to stay relaxed with so much weighing on your mind, but just try to keep your body healthy and relaxed, and get lots of sleep, and hopefully you can keep any flare-ups at bay :flower:

I haven't got a titre as such, they just report it as positive or negative. So, it's positive, lol. My HEp-2 was fine granular speckled, which corresponds more with the Ro than the dsDNA, I understand, but that makes sense, because even though I do have a positive dsDNA I don't have a lot of it.

I really hope the APL is negative too, it can cause so many problems and I think I already have more than my fair share of autoantibodies!

As for sleep...I went to bed at 5 yesterday evening, woke up at 8.45 for my dinner (awesome hubby cooked :D), went back to sleep around 10.30, and woke up again at 8 this morning. Really needed it!!

that's cool :) We have the same terms for swaddling blanket & mobile. Hmm, i cant think of any others that might be different! I'll let you know if i think of any lol!

Oh i see! I dont think i could have a natural birth, if i VBAC next time i'm sure i'd probably take every drug they offered me lol!

That's good to know then :) I saw the mens conception tablets but i'm not sure my OH would take them... I might ask him when i buy mine :)

I think i'm starting to understand more why my OH still doesn't want to talk about TTC - although he made the decision to try in december.

He thinks december is still a long way off - in my mind i'm thinking 'not long left must get prepared' he's thinking 'thats half a year away!'

Do you think he's changing his mind about when to ttc? I think alot of men are like that, i know my OH cant wait to start trying but he never brings up the subject, where as it's all i want to talk about lol :p

Haha, you are so right about this!! Its amazing how our brains work so differently :) It seems like its just right around the corner for me, too!

I haven't got a titre as such, they just report it as positive or negative. So, it's positive, lol. My HEp-2 was fine granular speckled, which corresponds more with the Ro than the dsDNA, I understand, but that makes sense, because even though I do have a positive dsDNA I don't have a lot of it.

This one thing I have a problem with in regards to some laboratory tests. We answer so many as positive or negative when it is at a certain number, but it seems like it would be so helpful to doctors to give the actual number. It would be really good to know if you are just .01 away from being negative, for instance.

Oh i see! I dont think i could have a natural birth, if i VBAC next time i'm sure i'd probably take every drug they offered me lol!

That's good to know then :) I saw the mens conception tablets but i'm not sure my OH would take them... I might ask him when i buy mine :)

I learned so much from The Business of Being Born....the epidural and pitocin seem to be such a potentially harmful combination, but I don't think I could do it without medication. I try not to think about this too much yet :)

Oooooh, I wonder if my DH would take conception tablets! He kind of struggles with low sex drive, so I wonder if this would help. I must admit this worries me a lot when it comes to TTC. :cry:

Do you think he's changing his mind about when to ttc? I think alot of men are like that, i know my OH cant wait to start trying but he never brings up the subject, where as it's all i want to talk about lol :p

I'm right with you with wanting to talk about it all the time - but i'm trying hard to keep everything to myself.

I hope he isn't changing his mind, we have had alot of talks/arguments & tears to get to this point, his comprimise to me was TTC december & i agreed & i gave him chances to let me know if it wasn't what he really wanted & he kept assuring me it is what he wants.

So i hope hes still sticking to that :wacko:

Hollynesss, is it like a documentary or a proper film? Might have to give it a watch :)
The mens tablets sound really good, when i was reading into it they say men need folic acid too which may be common knowledge but i certainly didn't know it lol! It can also improve the quality of sperm etc! Are you going to see if your OH will take them? Also, if you're worried about either one of your fertility there are tests that can be done to put your mind at rest :) I thought we had a problem at one point because we were trying for about 6 months and i (stupidly) assumed because i was young and healthy it would happen straight away!

LovemyBub, i'm glad i'm not the only one who likes to talk about it all the time lol! I must check this website 100 times a day to try help me cope with the broodiness lol and to stop me from driving my OH insane :p Maybe have a chat with your OH and make sure he is still on board with the December ttc date, especially if he's the one who chose that month! It must be a man thing because, like you ladies, i also think 6 months is just around the corner lol!

Hollynesss, is it like a documentary or a proper film? Might have to give it a watch :)
The mens tablets sound really good, when i was reading into it they say men need folic acid too which may be common knowledge but i certainly didn't know it lol! It can also improve the quality of sperm etc! Are you going to see if your OH will take them? Also, if you're worried about either one of your fertility there are tests that can be done to put your mind at rest :) I thought we had a problem at one point because we were trying for about 6 months and i (stupidly) assumed because i was young and healthy it would happen straight away!

Its a documentary, but its REALLY good! It does mainly focus on birth in the US, but it is extremely informative and taught me SO much about childbirth that I never knew!

Haha, I didn't know that men need folic acid, either :) I also read that they need zinc for healthy sperm. I'm not really worried about fertility in either of us. What I am concerned about is that DH is very sensitive to stress, and if he has a long day (common with his occupation) then he just isn't in the mood. I'm really not sure how to help, but since TTC requires you to be on the spot that is my concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->