Team Ding Dong... Bonking, Bumping, and Burping Along Together! ;-)

coral what was the reason that they made you stay in bed when your water broke? did they say it was an infection risk too? did they make you stay in bed with a bedpan or catheter as well? seems like it would really set people up for a csec..

for some reason the US is strict on the 24 hr thing, I had a bitch nurse too and she yelled at me for leaning on dh on the side of the bed during a contraction because my feet were touching the floor!! If that happened now I would of told her to f*** off but I was younger and timid then!

hopes I think its because of risk of cord prolapse. There is a risk once your waters go that the cord could protrude through the cervix and cut of oxygen to the baby. I think this is very rare though and thats why they dont want you to stand as the babies head could press on the cord. I think thats the reason they gave me.

yes I had to use a bedpan and boy was that awkward and uncomfy and embarassing!

Hopes, you have to understand that our hospitals & the Drs in the US do things differently than in the UK. They do not like for you to walk around, they prefer you to be laying down & monitored if something happens. Had I not been hooked up to monitors I would have never known DS2 had his cord wrapped around his neck 2xs...she knew this by his heartbeat. So she knew what too expect when I delivered. From my experience I dont have a problem being hooked to ivs & being monitored. This is just my opinion from my experience.

for some reason the US is strict on the 24 hr thing, I had a bitch nurse too and she yelled at me for leaning on dh on the side of the bed during a contraction because my feet were touching the floor!! If that happened now I would of told her to f*** off but I was younger and timid then!

wow i would be so angry! cord prolapse is virtually impossible if the head is engaged, they are not being realistic about the situation at all. im going to ask my midwife about it wednesday. Since I chose midwives rather than OBs, they may be slightly more understanding.. but hospital policy is hospital policy, so there is probably not much they can do. Fortunately it is uncommon for the water to break before labor has really begun, right? I think its something like 8-10%. But it seems to be happening all around me lately! I really hope it doesn't work that way for me.

i didnt want anyone in there with me as I needed a number 2:blush::haha: omg was it a nightmare!

China, get well soon wishes flying over, hate it when the family all come down with stuff :hugs: x

Hopes, that's terrible, your poor friend! There is no need for her to be confined to bed at all, makes me so angry to hear about things like that. I know she could just refuse I guess, but It seems to be me like they are bullying her. How is that supporting her? :growlmad: x

Dont think in the UK it would be possible to confine every women to a bed once waters break cos we'd not have enough beds :haha: but must say id hate that to happen :nope: I waited 12hrs after mine went before any contractions commenced so thats a longggggggggggggggg time on a bed.

I get what your saying China, I think its very important not to take unnecessary risks and was happy labouring in bed with one of mine. Although having said that there's no reason why you can't stand by the bed or get into more comfortable positions on or around the bed and still be monitored. And like Pops said you can take an IV with you anywhere. Laying on a bed suits some women, but it can slow labour, make it more painful, and make emergency intervention more likely. I found it easy to labour in bed with my first daughter, but near enough torture with Lilyanne who was back to back. Its a shame that women don't get a choice over there that's all, it can still be done safely and its a shame :( x

tink- yes they were definitely bullying her. She texted me all night last night while she was laying in the hospital bed very upset over the situation. she is a nurse herself and has a little knowledge of the birth statistics and all, as do i, but they managed to keep her in that bed. She has been with an OB the whole way through though, and I chose a group practice of midwives, so its possible they will be more understanding of the situation. They always act so flexible about things, I never imagined the possibility of being trapped in a bed when nothing is even wrong!

Yeah, Poopy that would be a long time but we don't have that problem here not having enough beds. Just from what I have read through out BNB, some ladies go over there due dates cause there hosi was too busy or not enough beds. It broke my heart when I read that.

china- i pretty much agree with what tink said. i totally want to be monitored and keep things under control, but being in a bed with a bedpan seems unnecessary. She didn't even have an IV or any medical interventions at that point and there was nothing wrong with her, but they insisted she lay in the bed. Things like that lead to unhappy, uncomfortable patients, who then often require extra medications and interventions, and may ultimately end up with a csec because everything goes backwards. The csec rate in the US has skyrocketed and research has proven that most cases could have been avoided entirely.

i didnt want anyone in there with me as I needed a number 2:blush::haha: omg was it a nightmare!

you are brave! if i had to number 2 with a big belly and a bedpan, i would probably throw a fit and cry and refuse lol. BUT it is a funny sight to imagine really :haha:

If the US hospital has mobil gagets like the iv, then yes we can move around. But not all hospital do & the ones that do are NOT going to advertise it. So, Hopes if you read this pleade don't think I'm being insensitive about your friends bed situation. Ask the hospital when you take the tour or your midwife if they have a mobile iv so you can move.

china- i pretty much agree with what tink said. i totally want to be monitored and keep things under control, but being in a bed with a bedpan seems unnecessary. She didn't even have an IV or any medical interventions at that point and there was nothing wrong with her, but they insisted she lay in the bed. Things like that lead to unhappy, uncomfortable patients, who then often require extra medications and interventions, and may ultimately end up with a csec because everything goes backwards. The csec rate in the US has skyrocketed and research has proven that most cases could have been avoided entirely.

Well, if she was not hooked up....then there was no reason for her to stay put....now that makes no sense.

Well, if she was not hooked up....then there was no reason for her to stay put....now that makes no sense.

they told her that since her water had broken that it was an infection risk and that she had to stay in the bed. our hospital does not require a routine IV and also offers hep-locks. on top of that we have mobile units for monitoring if required. but since her water broke, she was not eligible to be mobile? I'm not sure if it was her doctor who went along with this or if it is a strict hospital policy.. but I will likely ask my midwife wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->